Evaluating medical documentation and sifting through the jargon to get to what you need to know. Medical records can be intimidating and tedious for any criminal attorney or investigator to review. This session will be an overview of the medical record and what you need to focus on to help your clients. Key words and abbreviations will be discussed, as well as where you should look for the most comprehensive and understandable summary of the medical care provided.
To make it relevant and interesting, an actual case and its medical records will be included in the presentation. How injuries are evaluated in the hospital will also be covered.
When: October 16, 2023 at 11 a.m. PST / 1 p.m. CST / 2:00 p.m. EST - Everyone who signs up will receive the recording and handouts, so be sure to sign up even if you can't attend live.
Where: This is a virtual event which will take place over Zoom. It will take place live, and the recording and handouts will be provided so you can watch the replay on demand.
Upon completion of the presentation, you will:
1. Be able to recognize basic, frequently used medical abbreviations and interpret them.
2. Know where to look for a comprehensive, focused summary of the medical care provided.
3. Know where to look to determine injuries, injury severity, and treatment.
4. Recognize radiology and operative reports and know how to interpret them.
5. Determine what medications were given and when they were given.
6. Know when to enlist an expert’s help with medical record/injury interpretation.
7. Be familiar with how injuries are evaluated in the hospital.